Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheating

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating

Ive been married for over 20 years and i cheated recently for the first time ever in my life and i feel so mixed about it all, i dont know how to clear my head or what to do now, anyone got any advice for me?

• My philosophy on such things is that if you plan to tell your partner about it, you should do so ASAP. If you decide not to, understand that this might be the kind of secret that festers and slowly ruins an otherwise good marriage.

With that in mind, you can clear your mind by coming clean to your partner.
    Or you can decide not to do that, and find a way to forgive yourself and move forward.

That's all presuming you want to preserve the marriage. If you don't, I daresay you have a lot more options.

Comment

• First of all, thank you for your reply, ive started thinking about telling my husband and just hope i can be forgiven. I have hardly been able to sleep lately so its clearly something affecting my daily life in such a way that i need to get a solution to it as soon as possible. I cant really understand how i managed to end up in the situation but i know im the only one to blame.

Comment

• Welcome to WH Interactive Forums.

There is no one size fits all answer. I suppose the first thing is to ask the level of cheating. Some people consider it cheating if you have fantasies about being with someone else. Some people consider it cheating if you communicate with someone else in an intimate way. Some people consider it cheating only if you touch each other in an intimate way. Some people considerate it cheating if you play intimate show and tell. Some people considerate cheating if you try to arouse the other by touch. Some people consider it cheating only if you have intercourse. Some may not consider it cheating even with intercourse, such as with an open relationship.

The taboo of being with another person while in a committed relationship can make cheating exciting and can also lead to remorse. You have remorse and are not trying to deflect the blame onto your spouse or the other other person.

Now you are at damage control. The best thing would be for your husband to forgive you, maybe after a short period of penance on your part. This is how we were to move past things we did wrong as children. Of course, it was either penance or punishment then. The questions now are: is your husband truly the forgiving kind and are you willing to go down that path? I hope this indiscretion was with someone who was far away because it will not lead to reminders or possibly local talk.

I personally would allow things to cool a bit so I could think clearly and logically. Telling your husband may irretrievably damage a good relationship. Getting counseling would probably help. If you are religious, clergy may be who to talk to. Therapists may help. Both groups are not supposed to let the story go further and they may help you get your thoughts organized.

You say you are more than 20 years into marriage so I hope that means that a pregnancy is not likely, assuming that the cheating included intercourse.

In this analysis I have assumed that your husband is relatively straight laced. Some husbands seem so but have very kinky hidden sides that would defy this analysis. Others may seem straight laced but roll with the punches so a revelation like this would not faze them. You could probably tell best but it is not very predictable.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Thank you for welcoming me and giving an answer that really gets me thinking. In my situation i admit i went full way with this other guy, my husband is for me a truly great guy in every way possible but i dont have the biggest hope about he forgiving me, my mind is re-thinking the same question over and over, how long should i wait to have a bigger chance for him to forgive me.

The guy i was with was a guy i never seen or met before, hard to explain what was so special about him but he completely blew my mind of everything that night, i have thought about counseling but i dont think they can change my thought on if i should tell my husband or what to say, i think a counselor could help me to prevent me for doing the again.

You are right about the pregnancy-thing, i had my chances of that removed shortly after i had my second child so that is the only thing im happy about in my situation.

My husband is quite conservative in his thinking about issuses in the world most of time, but at times he can change his meaning and view about things as time goes by.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to purity culture

Okay, let's just break this down. Sex is not to be confused with love. Sex is a mechanical act that can be performed in a variety of ways. This will just...

Today, 08:34 AM By Claret

husband read her detailed journal about sex with boyfriend
            husband has tried to replicate it
            however, husband is not boyfriend & the excitement...

Yesterday, 03:18 PM By amy40

So in the case of your TV show woman, she would not know what good sex is like with a man had she not had sex previous to marriage. If she has tried...

Yesterday, 02:24 PM By EmptyNester

I still believe in waiting for marriage as there's something special about the first time being with your husband.....I'm teaching my kid to wait until...

Yesterday, 01:32 PM By amy40
          • Husband wants sex but just lays there

Hi I need some advice. My husband go through this a couple times during the week. He is so tired and exhausted from work and expects me to kiss on him...

Yesterday, 10:44 AM By Wifey6900

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Husband wants sex but just lays there

Hi I need some advice. My husband go through this a couple times during the week. He is so tired and exhausted from work and expects me to kiss on him...

Yesterday, 10:44 AM By Wifey6900
          • kid grew up

my kid grew up too fast!
            husband & I are parents to a teen-8th grader
            I SO miss the young toddler years when we played all day- playdoh,...

12-01-2022, 10:35 AM By amy40
          • purity culture

Does anybody think that purity culture is a form of abuse? I was raised in a southern baptist home and grew up in purity culture. Thankfully I never fell...

11-30-2022, 11:58 AM By victoriachan365
          • permanent hair removal

Has anybody ever done electrolysis or laser hair removal? I'm looking for permanent hair removal for my brazilian area as soon as I have money. I'm sick...

11-29-2022, 08:27 PM By victoriachan365
          • antimarriage and kids

I was wondering if anybody else can relate? Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and do not desire marriage or kids. Growing up in a fundamentalist...

11-29-2022, 08:20 PM By victoriachan365
          Working...
          X