Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lubricant for sensation and safety post chemo

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lubricant for sensation and safety post chemo

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has advice on a lubricant for vaginal and oral sex that doesn't decrease penis sensation. Also, that would be considered a "safe" lubricant for the prevention of fungal and bacterial infections. Situation - male partner with post chemo/stem cell neuropathy and decreased sensation issues but still interested in sex. Also, the added issue of a compromised immune system and heart infection, again still interested in sex LOL. Coconut oil is working but seems to coat too much and maybe decrease penis sensation I'm thinking. Would love any feedback or experience anyone else has advice on.

• Most lubes should not decrease sensation unless they have ingredients meant to do so (like lidocaine, for instance) — but those are generally used by folks dealing with premature ejaculation.

So it could be that part of the decrease in sensation is related to the neuropathy, rather than the coconut oil specifically, but a lightweight lube might help to ensure that he’s feeling as much as he can during sex.

In looking for a lubricant that has antifungal, antimicrobial, and antiseptic properties, something aloe-based is a very good way to go, as aloe vera gel offers all of those (and is anti-inflammatory, as well).

Some lighter-weight safe lubes with an aloe base that we recommend the highest include:

Aloe Cadabra — made from completely safe ingredients (aloe, being the main one)

AH! YES WB — also made from completely safe ingredients (aloe base)

Additionally, 100% pure aloe vera gel is a good lube on its own. If you have a plant, you can scrape the gel straight from the leaf (just be sure to remove it completely from the yellow rind, as that’s natural latex).

If you buy aloe vera gel, it has to be 100% pure with NO added ingredients (no fragrances, no other stuff, just the aloe). But that can be safe option as well.

Keep in mind that it’s only a fit for vaginal or oral sex; aloe is a little too thin for anal (and additionally, it’s pH is too low for anal sex as well).

Edited to add:

Aloe DOES contain natural latex (in the rind) so if either of you has a latex allergy, that is a consideration. Aloe Cadabra removes the gel thoroughly from the leaf so there are no traces of latex, however, if you use aloe gel from a plant, you need to remove it carefully and be sure to patch test it on the skin prior to use, to make sure there won't be any reaction.
    Last edited by Alison H.; 07-14-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• My wife & I don't always need to use lube with sex. But, when we do we use Aloe Cadabra. I think it feels great and she typically only requires a small dab (dime size) to get things started. We have never had to reapply either.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Do you ever have the desire to have sex with someone other than your husband?

It's completely normal. You could have an honest conversation with your husband about it without including the specifics of the people involved. How would...

Today, 02:08 AM By MrMr
      • Reply to Spice Up Marriage Ideas?

For me the hottest things involve bringing in other people. Not to have three somes or group sex but either watching or being naked in front of you. I'm...

Today, 01:58 AM By MrMr
      • Reply to Irregular period?

Period irregularities can occasionally be brought on by certain medications, excessive exercise, a very low or high body weight, or a calorie-deficient...

Yesterday, 11:34 PM By Ronit Raj
      • Reply to Lovehoney

I just tried and reviewed the Lovehoney advent calendars and they are worth every penny! I actually really like Lovehoney for their discreet service and...

Yesterday, 08:48 PM By Zoë T.
      • Reply to Do you ever have the desire to have sex with someone other than your husband?

It is perfectly normal to find other people attractive, and even feel flushed or nervous around those attractive people, when we're in relationships....

Yesterday, 08:20 PM By Zoë T.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• you have it or you don't have it

When I was twenty (now 50) I had a crush on this girl at school. At the age of 19 she slept with many guys already. She wasn't interested in me sexually...

10-03-2022, 06:37 AM By rafapak
      • 7inches penis

Hello everyone, I have a question. Do women prefer small or long dicks for blowjobs? Im from latinamerica and I've had the problem that most women I've...

10-01-2022, 06:39 PM By Eric96
      • Can't take birth control pills

I thought that birth control pills could help me with so many things: preventing pregnancy, managing irregular cycles, reducing painful periods, getting...

09-29-2022, 02:53 PM By Space-Traveller
      • Hard and fast penetration

Hi
        I am the new one here and would like to say hallo to everybody. I don't have much experience with women therefore I would like to ask question....

09-29-2022, 02:16 PM By rafapak
      • Do you ever have the desire to have sex with someone other than your husband?

I am wondering if this is normal/typical with other women.

My husband and I have a great relationship and sex life. But there are two other...

09-29-2022, 11:53 AM By GingerSun
      Working...
      X