X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pollon
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 327

    Addicts use to numb out the NECESSARY emotional pain required to mature. So rather than deal with the emotions of conflict or loss or challenges, they turn to their substance of choice (drugs, alcohol, porn, work, etc.) to get away from it.

    It is possible to be a "functioning addict" in some arenas of life. But a close personal emotionally-connected relationship is not one of them. He doesn't even know what that is like because for many years he's not fully experienced an emotional life. He won't even be able to relate to the idea of emotions until he is off the drugs long enough to experience them and work through them.

    Again, until he sees his addiction as the problem, all your efforts to change him are pointless. Make your plans for your life after him and purposefully march forward. As you do, he will likely throw all kinds of obstacles in your path (undermine your confidence, use guilt, sympathy, promises, pleading, tears, etc. etc.). Don't let those deter you. The only way he earns a chance with you is by PROVING he is clean and sober.

    Even then, most addicts relapse several times--even decades later--think Phillip Seymour Hoffman. So you might just consider whether you want to risk your future at all with him.

    Good luck

    Comment

    or

    Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

    Join our weekly newsletter and get the latest thought-provoking bold research and fearless conversations about sex - plus exclusive product giveaways - delivered to your inbox.

    Latest Activity

    Collapse

    • Reply to What is the implant (nexplanon) like?

      I'm curious what everyones experience was like getting the Nexaplanon removed. Do they make a legit incision? I had a decent amount of bruising getting...

      09-28-2026, 11:54 AM By Birdie_567
    • Reply to Women - not climaxing

      Hello Mermaidsheets --> Was just checking in here to see how things were going with everything?...

      09-24-2026, 08:31 PM By JonnyR
    • Reply to Birth Control Thoughts

      Yes it was seriously so convenient! I am sure that there are some other local non-profits that do somewhat similar things. I do live in a state that is...

      09-23-2026, 10:52 AM By Birdie_567
    • Reply to Birth Control Thoughts

      Oh, this is a very many-layered topic! When I was younger, I visited Planned Parenthood (PP) for my own STI testing, for lots of reasons, but mainly for...

      09-16-2026, 08:09 PM By JonnyR
    • Birth Control Thoughts

      How are we all handling birth control now these days? I got the Nexaplanon 5 years ago and its time for a renewal. When I got it there was a huge buzz...

      09-15-2026, 12:29 PM By Birdie_567

    Latest Topics

    Collapse

    • Birth Control Thoughts

      How are we all handling birth control now these days? I got the Nexaplanon 5 years ago and its time for a renewal. When I got it there was a huge buzz...

      09-15-2026, 12:29 PM By Birdie_567
    • Women - not climaxing

      Hello, I’m 40, a cis woman, and I’ve been married for 10 years. We were having sex and I was nearly to climax when it sort of just dissipated. This...

      09-08-2026, 08:19 PM By Mermaidsheets
    Working...