Women's Health Interactive Forums

• Before signing up for our forum please read our rules.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Wax or Shave? That is the question...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugaring

Here's a recipe that I've used before - verbatim - from my growing list of natural beauty products recipes. Enjoy!

"Ingredients for Halawa by Lucy Elsherif
    1. Two cups of water
    2. Three cups of sugar or three cups of honey
    3. Two teaspoons of lemon juice

Procedure
    1. Place all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil.
    2. When its colour changes to golden brown, lower the heat and continue to simmer.
    3. Keep a careful watch on the colour. Once it starts to change to brown, turn off the heat.
    4. Allow to cool a little, then pour small quantities onto heavy duty plastic, of the cereal bag type. Plastic that is not heavy duty will melt. It is not a good idea to use a plate, as you will need to peel it off something pliable after it cools.
    5. When it becomes cool enough to handle, pull a piece off the plastic and pull and stretch it. This will immediately cause it to change color, from a clear golden brown to an opaque gold. It should be easy to stretch and pull. If it is too hard, you have left it on the heat for too long and must make a new batch. If it is too liquid, it has not been heated enough and must be heated once more, or a new batch made.

It is now ready for use! Good luck in bearing the pain!

The trick is in knowing when to turn the heat off, and may take a few batches until mastered. One test is to take a drop on a spoon and hold it between your thumb and finger (cool it under water first!). It should stretch between them. If it too liquid to stretch, continue to heat, and if it stretches but is brittle, discard and repeat, reducing the time you leave it on the heat.

An easier, although more expensive, alternative is to use just three cups of honey and a few drops of lemon. Simmer for a few minutes until the colour changes then continue from step 4."

If it's runny, I've tried adding cornstarch. The stickiness doesn't last as long (still a pretty long time), but at least it's usable instead of throwing it out. I have another recipe for the sugar technique that uses the strips if you'd rather try that out. Either one works great if you add either chamomile tea instead of just water for calming the skin, and adding some tea tree oil for antiseptic/numbing.

Comment

• Are you sure you shaved properly? You have to use a clean blade and you want to make sure you let it soak in the warm water for a few minutes, then apply shaving cream and let it soak for another couple minutes, and then shave WITH the hairs. So down, not up. And only go over each area like once or twice. Don't keep shaving the same area or it irritates it. I love shaving! It's fast and easy. And the more you do it the more you get used to it and you don't get those bumps anymore.

Comment

• I am a shaver i use the rolling razor i made a prior post about it i really love it it gets the hard places that i hate shaving with ease like behind the knee for instance great i really recommend it

Comment

• Nad's Natural Wax

This Thing is horrible! I bought it at Target with the price tag of 19 bucks and now i feel like i just washed down that money down the toilet, this is why I'm always so skeptical about waxes if it's not the one's in the salon.

Warning!! Do not buy Nad's Natural Wax because It's not only messy but it doesn't work AT ALL. Does anyone know the waxing product they use at salons. It would just be cheaper if i buy rather then spending 10 bucks every 2 weeks. Thanks Ladies!!
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary

Comment

• I use Sally Hansen's Brazilian wax kit. I've also tried Sally Hansen's all over body wax but it was HORRIBLE. The brazilian wax kit is the best i've tried so far and it's super affordable. It's a hard wax so you don't need to use messy strips. I'll admit the first time I wanted to die. As you keep doing it the hair will get finer and softer so it doesn't hurt as bad. I think the trick with the hard wax is to keep it thin. If you put a huge blob of wax on your yoohoo it's going to kill. Although, it might be necessary the first time because the hair will be more coarse. I think the best part about this wax is that if you wanted to you could re-use the wax by microwaving it again. I don't think i'll ever use another product.

Comment

• One of the most important things when it comes to waxing is to never skimp on waxing products. True, the drug store variety of waxing kits and pre-made waxing strips may be convenient, and might do an OK job, at best. But nothing can come close to using professional waxing products. A few of the very best wax brands out there are: Ceripil, Lycon, and, arguably the very best of them all - Berin's wax. Now, these are ALL professional grade waxes, thud you normally need to be a licensed beauty professional in order to purchase them. But, there are a few online sources where they will sell to the general public. But keep this in minf before considering making a purchase of any of the listed waxes. A person may be using the finest wax in the world, but if she lacks the knowledge, and skill required to use these products in a proper manner, they are essentially useless and will not give good results. You need to have a solid understanding of waxing fundamentals prior to using any professional wax system. The people doing this for a living don't make good money for no reason. No, they are both thoroughly trained, and highly skilled in providing waxing services to their customers. And for this level of service, customers are more than willing to pay big bucks.

Comment

• I usually shave. I got this amazing shave cream called Coochie Cream, and yes it came from a sex toy party. lol It makes the hair softer and reduced a lot of the bumps and ingrown hair. HOWEVER, I have also been waxed down there and I would choose that ANY day over shaving. Yes it hurts, but only for a second, and lasts way longer. the only problems I have had with ingrown hairs with the waxing were the hairs that I created while shaving, and the woman took care of them for me when she waxed me.

Comment

• "sugaring" and "waxing" are the only way to go and only when done by a professional who has been doing it for a while. (at least 3 years).

Comment

• Neither is the answer

Sugaring is better than waxing because sugaring is all natural, it has water,lemon and sugar and it goes with the direction when the sugar is being extracted with the hair,therefore it pulls it out with the bulb and less pain because waxing you pull AGAINST the opposite way your hair grows which causes breakage,ingrown hair,and very painful as the wax is being pulled with the hair. Waxing you can only go one time over the skin you just waxed, if you do it again,you are pulling the layer of skin off which will cause a burn mark or a burning sensation after wards. As for the Sugar,you can go over the skin as much as you want and at room temperature it will never burn your skin. This method of Sugaring has been around as far back as 1900BC in the ancient times in Egypt and Greece. I tried doing a wax Brazilian on myself,THAT was extremely painful.As for the Sugaring experience doing a Brazilian I done it with a breeze, only the first time it was like tearing a band aid off your skin,there after the skin starts toughening up that the next time you sugar it doesn't hurt.That right there I definatly will vouch for because I tested it myself to see if it did hurt as bad as waxing.Hands down to Sugaring that's the best method ever.
                    Oh and it last longer than waxing and is strong enough to even remove the ingrown hair which causes the raised bumps or pimply area because of a strand of hair growing back inwards.I know because I want to make sure when I tell my clients what experience I personally had then they can be assured that it can work for them IF they follow the proper procedures of exfoliating,toning and moisturizing the area.

Comment

• If and when I need to shave I usually use my hubby's "bodygroom" electric shaver. I am usually not shaved and only occasionally trim...I am quite hairy...my hair does grow way beyond the normal "bikini line"...but luckily I am married to man who has no preference when it comes to being shaved, trimmed or hairy.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                      X