Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compatibility and attraction

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility and attraction

What is it that draws us to a person and makes us want to partner with them long term?

Obviously, we look for physical attributes that appeal to us.
    What is it specifically that draws you, beyond that?
    Mannerisms?
    Is it common interests?
    Common goals?

There's something I read once that indicated people with wealth are more attractive.
    Would that influence your attraction, do you think?

Someone who has a sexual reputation? Attractive or repelling?

Are we attempting to have our needs met in a relationship or are there other objectives in the dating game?

Widen the discussion please. I'd like to hear your own experiences and thoughts, theories. We can chat about evolutionary biology or any angle you'd like to approach.
    Last edited by atskitty2; 12-18-2017, 02:09 PM.

• don't know but can totally understand why 70-80 % of divorces are initiated by women

Comment

• Why can you understand that, amy? In context of this topic?

Comment

• I read above recently after also reading that single women are happiest and married women least happiest
        men are happier in marriage than women

women maybe go into marriage more optimistic
        and women change and evolve

I don't think men do (change and evolve that is)

I think it is harder for the woman in a marriage
        so the women/men may be compatible at first but then it gets harder as the years go by (for the woman)

Comment

• it's almost like men do what they need to do to "catch" a woman but then they settle in the comfortableness of being married

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
            it's almost like men do what they need to do to "catch" a woman but then they settle in the comfortableness of being married
            Not unlike the animal kingdom in many cases.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• So you think men sort of fake compatible characteristics until marriage?

Comment

• Beyond physical appearance, I find women who are intelligent very attractive. I don't find myself getting intimidated by a woman who is smarter or even more successful than me. I do however, get intimidated by very attractive women. Weird I know.

For some reason, I also don't find wit that attractive in females. Not that its unattractive, but it doesn't do anything for me. I do find an outspoken and sassy woman attractive.

Personality wise, a caring thoughtful girl is always appealing and a whining always-complaining-about-something attitude is deeply annoying even if she is attractive physically.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  So you think men sort of fake compatible characteristics until marriage?
                  it works both ways
                  i.e. the woman who "pretends" to love football but really doesn't

I know more than one women who have "two voices" , a sweet lilting voice for people they are trying to impress and then their real voice

Comment

• kitty....guess I think of my parents, no idea how they got together as they have never seemed compatible to me
                    my guess it was total physical attraction only

Comment

There's something I read once that indicated people with wealth are more attractive.
                      Would that influence your attraction, do you think?
                      sometimes we go to events in a affluent town about an hour or so away from us
                      I can always tell the locals as they dress perfectly and their hair looks perfect

I would not want to date someone wealthy as I couldn't look that level of perfect

(dressed up for a recent event, wearing my long skirt, my good makeup, thought I looked nice
                      as we go in, our kid tells me "those boots do not go with your outfit!")

Comment

• Last night I remembered watching something a long time ago in which the pictures of average looking men were shown to women, with an indication of lower net worth. the same pictures were shown to other women with an indication of higher income. The women seeing the bigger dollar signs rated those same men more attractive. (Going from memory, it's been years)

I thought that was interesting and I wonder if it is the same with men, and women of greater wealth.

Wish I could find that experiment.
                        Thoughts anyone?

Comment

• Cheesy as this sounds, it's personality that attracts me to a bloke. What he looks like doesn't matter: how he behaves, talks, presents himself to people, is what draws me in. I need an emotional connection, rather than a physical one.

Comment

So you think men sort of fake compatible characteristics until marriage?
                            Some men do fake compatible characteristics. Sometimes it is only to get farther on a date, sometimes it is to get farther in a long term relationship. Sooner or later their true self will appear.
                            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Do you think that men are making a very conscious choice in doing so?
                              And if so, do you have any idea why? Obviously they do it for the objective of keeping the girl (or guy, in those cases), but at some point, wouldn't they realise that they can't keep up the charade forever? And they're going to lose her when he stops the act?

Sometimes I think men aren't fully aware of their own choices in that matter. Maybe the drive with attraction is so strong they just don't realise?

I do think women do it too.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

I think that's the bottom line! Each person/couple should do whatever feels right for them -- even if it is to please the other party, so long as it's...

09-15-2020, 10:36 PM By JonnyR
                              • Reply to When to call it quits?

It makes perfect sense, though. It might not be fool-proof but really if you find yourself rooting for one side over the other, that kinda tells you exactly...

09-15-2020, 09:47 PM By Strega
                              • Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Aside from keeping a bare bikini line in the summer months, I’ve never felt pressured from a societal standpoint to keep my pubic hair a certain way....

09-15-2020, 09:12 PM By Strega
                              • Reply to Letting a friendship fade away

Emily D. thanks....

09-14-2020, 05:13 PM By atskitty2
                              • Reply to When to call it quits?

The guy my friend was dating apparently sensed her disinterest, and asked her if she'd like to continue dating. She avoided the question, and that was...

09-14-2020, 05:09 PM By atskitty2

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Letting a friendship fade away

Over the past few years, the tone of a friendship of mine has changed. We have a mutual friend, and last week, we finally had an honest chat about how...

08-30-2020, 07:41 AM By atskitty2
                              • When to call it quits?

It's sometimes difficult to know when to end a romantic relationship, and for what reasons. Dating can be a challenge, and finding someone worth investigating...

08-30-2020, 07:14 AM By atskitty2
                              Working...
                              X