Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here, Need Advice Group B Strep Nighmare- Not Pregnant

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 26 and I was first informed of having Group B Strep last year. I had terrible itching and discomfort - completely different from a yeast infection. I was giving antibiotics to help reduce the bacteria growth. It definitely helped but now for the past 5 or 6 months it keeps coming back once a month right around my period ( just like someone else had mentioned). This has most definitely affected my sexual relationship with my fiance. I get severe pain during intercourse and it also seems to affect him, causing him redness and pain for the following week or so.

For myself, what I usually do is use the external cream that comes with Canesten because that soothes the itch and I also eat natural yogurt. I tend to get mild reactions to dairy products so hearing that there are probiotic pills is excellent, especially since I woke up this morning with the same signs.

I'm going to get some pills today and I'll post my recovery later on.
    It's extremely frustrating that all the websites out there deal with pregnancies, while I am no where near to being pregnant and I deal with this on a monthly basis.

Comment

• Wow. I have been dealing with the same infection for 4 months now. I thought I was the only person. Has anything new been discovered? My doctor keeps putting me on antibiotics, amoxacillan, and that clears it up for about 2 -4 days and then it is back in full force. Please let me know what you find out.

Sincerly
      Hannah

Comment

• I started to get the symptoms about 5 or 6 days before my period started and usually I take natural yogurt for all the probiotics that it has. Since it doesn't have that much in one serving and I can't eat too much dairy, I thought I would try the natural pills.
        I bought "Inno-Vité" brand probiotic pills - DDS Plus - they have L. acidophilus DDS-1 and B. Bifidum FOS. I've been taking 2 pills in the morning and then 2 at night (2 pills have 5 billion colony forming units, as per the description on the back of the bottle) and I have to say that within 10-15min I feel better!!! They usually last all day, although there are times that I notice it. I also keep using the Canesten external cream that comes with the yeast infection kits. That really soothes the itching. I'm going to keep up with these pills during my period because I've noticed in the past that before my period I get the Group B Strep symptoms and then after I may have a yeast infection.
        I'm hoping that this is going to make my life a bit easier and that next month I'll be able to start with the pills sooner and maybe prevent this from starting all together.
        I'll make sure to post any updates!

Comment

• The light bulb judt went off!

I have been suffering with BV since I was a teenager. It would start and then go away. I went to the GYN and she suggested that I take acidophilus. For years I was taking the acidophilus and eatind yogurt and I did not have a flare-up. I ran out of the acidophilus and never replaced it and that is when the flare-ups began.

Now reading the threads, I remembered the acidophilus. When I was told about Strep B by my doctor he did not do a good job of explaining what it was and what my options were. I am going to the store to buy acidophilus and probiotic yogurt.

I thought there was something wrong with me. This has really hurt my relationship with my boyfriend. It is difficult and embarassing to tell him monther after month that you don't want to have sex because of the discomfort. I am glad to find out that I am not the only one suffering.

Comment

• So glad to have found this site. I've been dealing with GBS for almost 2 yrs...well, symptomatic for 2yrs, but I did test positive for it, with no symptoms, 12yrs ago when I was pregnant with my 2nd child.

It took docs 18mos to diagnose me correctly. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and therefore a weakened immune system. My doctor believes this is why I've become symptomatic. He first wanted to treat me with inserting garlic cloves vaginally for a few weeks to see if that had any effect. It did not, except to make me smell as if I'd eated garlic in bulk. He then put me on 10 days of Amoxicillin, which did work while I was taking it, but within a few days, it came back even stronger and I had a raging yeast infection. I have also been using boric acid suppositories, which do help temporarily, but it does not cure the infection. He is hesitant to keep me on antibiotics because of the damage they do to good bacteria.

His most recent suggestion is to douche with Hibiclense. It is an antiseptic wash that surgeons use prior to surgery. It is also what my gyn uses on women, vaginally, prior to any kind of surgery. I guess they swab the vaginal cavity with it??? Anyway, he has me mixing 2tsp of Hibiclense to every 1 pint of water. It was a little frightening at first because this stuff is basically liquid soap....It looks like soap, smells like soap and foams like soap! It does immediately take away pelvic pain/discomfort and it only burns at the vaginal opening, which is irritated from the infection. It is too soon to report any results.

I will be seeing my GP in a couple of days and will ask her to test my blood and urine for GBS. It can potentially be very dangerous if it enters your bloodstream. At that point, I guess they treat you with IV antibiotics. Who knows, if it's systemic and they get rid of it via IV antibiotics, maybe that would have an effect on the gynecological aspect??? Probably wishful thinking!

This bacteria has become a constant irritant in my life and has greatly affected my sex life. Even if I'm feeling well with regard to the chronic fatigue, this bacteria prevents me from enjoying sex at all....not to mention day to day life!

Comment

• Group B Strep hurts

So I am a 27 year old non pregnant female who just found out I have a Group B Strep infection. I didn't even know about this bacteria. I caused my vagina to swell completely closed. Then to make it worse it forced the Urethra out of my vagina area and became hard as a rock and about 5 times its normal size. My primary doctor was telling me that I just have trauma from application of some sort after a initial visit to him. Went to get a second opinion and the doctor there proceeded to tell me that I was have a herpes outbreak with even doing cultures. Something I dont even have.

Finally 3 days later I couldn't walk or sit or move without being in so much pain from my vagina being so swollen. I couldn't get a urine flow going and I was bleeding and discharging from my vagina and Urethra. I finally went into an emergency clinic and the doctor there said she had never seen anything like it in her 30 years of practicing medicine. She immediately gave me a shot in the butt and put me on a 7 day drug treatment. She took cultures and told me she would let me know what she found out.

I received the cultures from my primary and he told me I had Group B Strep. I asked me if he was going to treat me and he said no because the Clinic doctor already had given my an antibiotic. I am however still in pain down there, my Urethra is still a bit swollen and I am having severe pelvic pains. I am on day 5 of the medicine and it doesn't seem to work. My primary OBGYN still wont treat it. What do I do?

Comment

• GBS is a bacteria that can be found in the intestinal tract of some women. So it's kinda like the strep on your skin.....it's a bacteria that you can just carry. It is very difficult to treat as most time it will come back despite antibiotics.

In regards to the boric acid capsules I'm not saying that it won't clear up GBS but it's typically used to treat resistant yeast infections. Most yeast is Candida albicans and is sensitive to most azole treatments (doctor speak for monistat). But sometimes you can have Candida Glabrata which can be resistant to azoles and needs tx w/the boric acid.

Either way each person has an individual body, individual ph, and individual problems so I would highly recommend visiting your gynecologist and having a specific culture done to try to identify not only the bug that you have but the antibiotic sensitivity.

Comment

• Same boat too!!

I've been having the same problem since November- its just getting worse and worse. Went to GP twice, the first time I was told I had no sign of any infection, the second time (2 Months ago) I was swabbed for everything possible and told that I only had Group B strep but that it needed no treatment unless I got pregnant.

I've been nearly tortured with the burning discomfort internally and externally. Marital relations have taken a serious nose dive because its so uncomfortable. Like some of you others its worse 2nd half of month.

So much of the medical literature I'm reading on the net is dismissive of people who say they are symptomatic- they have to be joking!!

I've tried garlic with no result and am not going to go down the antibiotic route as I'm a guaranteed thrush sufferer when i take them.

I'm just glad that I found somewhere that confirm that I'm not bats and I'll be keeping an eye out for any suggestions anyone has here.

Trifides

Comment

• I know what you mean! My doctor simply shrugged it off and told me not to worry about it. I am dealing with some thyroid issues at the moment and I had stopped taking my thyroid hormone replacement medication. Once off of the medication, I became sick and my body's normal metabolism slowed down. I also noticed that the symptoms of strep b went away completely. My desire to have sex was back and I no longer experienced any discomfort. Unfortunately, I was off of my thyroid meds for too long and my doctors put my on thyroid medication alternatives. Guess what? IT'S BAACK! Because my body is not back to it full normal self, the symptoms are not full force. But my fear is that when I go back on my proper medications I will begin suffering again.

Comment

• Hi, I came across this discussion while Googling Strep B. I was told by my doctor during my yearly check up that my urine came back postive for this. I don't have any symptoms but was prescribed Amoxcillin 3x a day for 7 days. After reading all of your posts, I must say I am so sorry to those of you who are suffering and cannot find good treatment. I have suffered with yeast infections and urinary tract infections more than most women I know and now I wonder if it is related to the positve strep b finding. My doctor asked if I had any symptoms and when I told her I did not, she said that I would soon if I didn't treat with the Amoxicillin. Has anyone else been told they have this yet never suffered symtoms?

Comment

• I am also new to this and am trying to find some answers

I joined this group because I too have just been diagonsed with having strep b by a urine culture. I am a little confused by this bacteria and am trying to find some answers. In April this year I went to the ER because I was having serve pain in my pelvic area and lower abdomn, they did blood work, a urine sample and a pelvic exam. The doc said it was BV which I had never heard of. I got a shot of antibiotic and 7 days of antibiotics and pain meds. The next week I went to my PCP and he followed what the ER doc said. I got so sick from the antibiotic so he changed me to a different one. Really got no relief for the antibiotics, I think they made it worse. About a week later I went to my Gyno and my pap came back normal and he even said he didn't see any signs of infection. Then a week later I went back to my PCP with back pain and then was diagnosed with a kidney infection and then they did a urine culture and it came back with the strep b in it. Was put back on other antibiotic and uti pain meds. After I finished the antiboitics I had to go back to my PCP for another urine culture and it came back today with the strep b still there. He has refered me to a urologist and I go a week from Monday. I don't have much pain in my pelvic area anymore, just off and on. I have never had the yucky discharge or pain when going to the bathroom. It is really freaking out. Can this get into your blood stream? Has anyone else been to a urologist? If so what all did they do? Anything advice or guidence would help, Thanks

Comment

• I am a 28 yr. old female and just diagnosed with GBS after 9 months of what i thought was a recurring yeast infection. It is extremely frustrating in so many ways and I send out my sympathy to all of you that have had to deal with this. I am glad to have found you here.
                          What I have used in the past is (as odd as it sounds) - a 'light day' tampon with a small amount of tea tree oil and Lotrimin. The tea tree oil seems to cool and numb the feverish / poison ivy-like feeling and the Lotrimin works as a powerful antifungal. Always, the flare up starts around the time of menstruation. I've thought it might have something to do with my pH levels. The vagina has a normally acidic pH (around 4) to do it's own sort of self-cleaning. Blood has a highly basic pH (around 7) and semen, an even higher basic pH.
                          I would think

Comment

• - these factors, throwing off your pH, might make you succeptable to infections, in the same manner that a lowered immune system would.
                            I am wondering now if GBS can effect your partner (besides making them feel unwanted and frustrated, of course). My partner hasn't noticed anything. Someone earlier had mentioned noticing that her partner would feel sore and notice redness about a week after her own infection flare-up and having intercourse. anyone else?

Comment

• I may have f ound something!

**Removed outbound link**
                              I visited this website and followed most of the regimen. I bought the tea tree oil suppositories along with the acidophilous pearls vitamin C and cranberry supplements. The itching is gone and I felt sexy and wanted to be intimate with my partner without fear of discomfort. I am not saying that this will work for everyone but it helped ease the symptoms and made me feel much better.

Check out the site and decide if it is something you may be willing to consider.
                              Last edited by LanaBear; 06-20-2010, 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed outbound link

Comment

• Same situation

I have witnessed first hand a lot of the symptoms you ladies have been discussing. I have a question though? are any of you on birth control? I have been for 10 years and I'm wondering if this is causing the inbalance...

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X