Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here, Need Advice Group B Strep Nighmare- Not Pregnant

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I too suffer with these horrible UTI's. The ONLY med that will treat group B strep is Penicillen. Do not let the doctor give you amoxicillen, it won't work. I know from experience penicillin will work. Let me know!

Comment

• Originally posted by FLxo View Post
      Im new on here too, i wasnt quite sure how to message back to your post but i have been having similar problems for about 6 months now. doctors couldnt figure out what it was and did a culture. the culture turned up group b strep. i dont know a lot about it but i think it's whats been causing my symptoms.
      Hi,

I was told penicillin is the only antibiotic that will work for strep b in urine. I am on a 10 day dose. I will let you know my results when I get tested again. It is horrible that doctors out there are so ignorant. I am going to an infectious disease doctor on Tuesday. I will let you know how it went.

Comment

• Amy- you are describing exactly what I am going through. Did you find an answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mommaj11 View Post
          Hi,

I was told penicillin is the only antibiotic that will work for strep b in urine. I am on a 10 day dose. I will let you know my results when I get tested again. It is horrible that doctors out there are so ignorant. I am going to an infectious disease doctor on Tuesday. I will let you know how it went.
          Im in NJ too. Anyway what doctor finally gave you penicillin? My family doctor gave me the macrobid (something like that) and then said if I dont feel better to see a urologist. I was also on amoxicillian and that did nothing either. Did the penicillin make you feel better at least?

Comment

• Hello. I have had strep b for over a year now. I have tried amox, kefflex (twice) and a ton of different herbs and . None of it worked. For some reason, all of the antibiotics and herbal stuff ended up giving me terrible anxiety and I ended up in the ER at one time. I don't know if it is from candida or what because I have yeast infections all the time too. I have just taken so many antibiotics in the last year. That is what inititally caused the strep overgrowth, a round of flagyl for BV. I tried some estrogen cream, which helped, but it seems like if I take a bath it comes back in full force. My symptoms are inflammation / burning and some itching and pain. I have been to the dr so many dang times . Please if someone finds a cure, please help!!!

Comment

• I am new to this forum. I am 27 and have been struggling with Strep Group B for the last year. I have been tested for STDs 3 times in the last year and all have come back negative. I am not pregnant. I do not know why I started getting Strep B but now I can't get rid of it. My symptoms and I have been pretty much dismissed by both my Gyno and my general doctor. I have taken one series of Ampicillian which definitely cleared things up. But within two weeks of finishing treatment, the infection was back. I am so frustrated and freaked out. I am single and am afraid I am never going to be able to explain this to a potential partner. I've read the posts on here and it seems like there are some promising solutions. Does anyone have any new updates or any clear regimen to clear up the infection?

Comment

• I can't believe I actually found this forum. I thought I was having strange side effects to medicine I take for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had an infection on my legs and butt they couldn't figure out. Finally they told me it was group b strep. A week later, I was at my physician's office with a fever and high WBC and group b strep in my urine and I am not pregnant. She gave me Levoquin and it responded but it's back. This has been going on since August. I went to the infectious disease doctor regarding the infection on my legs and butt. I told him about the GBS in my urine. He said . . . "so". I think it's a little more than "so". I think something is wrong, but no one seems to know what it is. I'm very interested in others thoughts on this . . . going to keep reading.

Originally posted by jgalt001 View Post
                hi everyone -

i noticed a few people had planned to see infectious disease doctors about their strep b - what was the outcome of those visits?

also, is this causing painful intercourse for anyone?

i've been struggling with this for several years now and am at my wits' end... any additional info would be very appreciated!

Comment

• Wonder what happens to people who are allergic to PCN?

Comment

• Came to see if the penicillin worked

I was wondering if the lady who went on the penicillin for 10 days worked? I am going to the doctor tomorrow to have another urinalysis and I know it is coming back positive. Hate this.

Comment

• Hi all
                      I came acroos this site whilst trying to look for answers over my own Strep B problems, I am 25 and I believe i have had Strep B now since i started my periods at around 12......I used to have problems all the time around a wk before my periods a thick white discharge with painful burning I am also a kidney stone maker9small passable ones) since the age of 14 (thats when i got diagnosed) but we believe i made them younger and i have always had on and off urine infections!! Well I got pregnant at 17 went into hospital with severe sickness and problems with my kidneys and stayed there for most of my pregnancy I kept getting bad burning and redness and sometimes itching, my baby was born at 37 wks 5 hours after they took him straight up to special care and told me he had Pnemonia and was dying they didnt know why but he was losing his fight,they tried all sorts of diffrent Anti-biotics and they was not responding to the infection well after being 100 incubated for 2 wks he was put on another Anti-biotic and thankgod he pulled through (although he does have Autism ) which i have read can be caused by Strep B well i carried on suffering with the monthly burning smell not all the time but most and only for about a wk its not always fishy it can be very our smelling and sometimes Onion like (sorry I know)....anyways i feel pregnant again with my Twins and spent the same amount of time in hospital again due to severe sickness and kidney problems.I kept reading these posters with symptons of Strep B in pregnancy as not much was know over in England about it, I asked to be tested but they said it was rare and i was just a young mother worrying over nothing well my Twins was born with you have guessed it Strep B straight to specail care when i noticed they was not breathing properly!!!! incubated but not as bad as my 1st born and so far not Autistic they are now nearly 6.I understand this thread is about non pregnant Strep B problems but i thought i would let you know a little history about me, I now always suffer with extreme red and burning at least 1 wk a month if not 2 always the 6 days or so before my period,my doc says it has no symptoms when not pregnant im always on diff Anti-biotics due to water infections (i have also just had major surgery on my head due to a severe infection ne my brain and a Cholestoma ) I have had enough of this alful burning and pain during sex My Husband luckily is a very open man and i can talk about anything with him, he also understands my not wanting sex due to sorness and pain but I dont always have the pain during sex only sometimes and i have noticed that after sex i have a flare up for a few days (not like before my period) has anybody else noticed this?! Im wondering if its because our fluids are produced more of and because we are spreading it out onto the areas it would not normally sit?? sorry again for TMI it happens wether we use protection or not I am not on birthc ontrol as we have found out i get bad sickness due to the Hormone in them like in Pregnancy! some creams help the burning and itching but nothing gets rid of the dischanrge I must add that it can be Green tinted yellow tinted but i have been checked loads of times for STI and have always been clear!! so why the yellow and green tinge?? It makes me paroniod and im hating the fact i might have to live with this I also suffer very badly from bloating when i eat pretty much anything but worse with yeast foods. Anyways i LOOK forward to hearing from any of you

Comment

• Hi - new Strep B sufferer - well newly diagnosed - after what I can only describe as 3 massively frustrating years of Cystitis, UTI's, Kidney Infections and more recently Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - one of the most painful things I have ever had - worse that a C section - I echo all the frustrations of you all and the glaringly obvious fact that GPs and Gynae people have no ideas how to treat this condition. Not alone is it a 'pain' literally but the impact on ones quality of life and sex life is wicked. I am freaked out at this stage and I have decided to be my own case manager and go and demand proper isolation of the bacterium - so it can specifically be treated - then maybe some contraception or HRT to get the PH levels in the uterus back in action - combine that with natural remedies, water, cranberry juice, iron and pray that I can at least manage this condition. Canada is usually good for 'leading edge' health treatments so maybe have a look at the forums there and see if there is anyone who has found a resolution to this insidious problem - I may be 47 but still want and love sex and am not prepared to forfeit an integral part of who I am to this condition. So keep pressing your GPs and Gynaecologists to work with you to determine solutions. Keep The Faith sisters. Piper

Comment

• hey guys, 22 years old, have had symptomatic GBS since last january, after a miscarriage. my symptoms are vaginal burning, pain during intercourse/urination, sometimes pelvic pain, and cystitis (negative urine cultures) after several weeks of oral antibiotics, it would feel better during treatment but only return worse!!!! im currently using boric acid which definitely helps but still have some pain during intercourse. I was initially diagnosed with "interstitial cystitis", but figured out it is probably the heavy strep growth after discovering that douching helped.. i was douching for a couple months, but ruins the good flora too so i thought it would just allow the strep to return worse, just like the antibiotics. sex life is awful. ANY help is appreciated

Comment

• Related to IUD?

hi all. I never had any issues until I had an IUD put in after my second child. It started with the crazy discharge, which my doc told me was normal due to the hormones in the IUD. But then started getting UTIs (a TON) and cramps! I tested positive for GSB (mind you I had 2 kids and always tested negative before the IUD). After being patient for 6 months, I made them remove the IUD and it's better, but I still get the flare ups. Hot tubs are a big factor! Also around the time just before my period. I tried the Hibiclense, and it was OK.

But I just ordered the Acidophilus probiotic, so we'll see if that helps! Also the book, It's my ovaries Stupid by Dr. Vliet - because I do think hormones have an impact.

It is great to find this forum and realize that we're not suffering alone!

Keep the advice and tips coming!

Comment

• hey everyone,
                              I'm so glad to have found this thread. I also have been suffering from gbs spymptoms a week or so after my period for the last 3 months (whitish discharge,burning/itchy sensation in and around the opening, discomfort and mild paindown there as well as painful sex which has not gotten any better but my bf is wonderful and very understanding and supportive ).

I had a pap n swab test done last week thinking i was suffering from recurrent thrush but found i was negative for everything ( STD's and thrush) but i have a heavy growth of strep B and hence altered genital flora.

My doc had no idea wat to do about it and i get the symptomatic discharge once a month for over a week plus a burning sensation though those two symptoms die down after a week and a half BUT sex is continuously painful!

I'm a science student at the university of Melbourne and I'm hoping to do post-grad med and heavily focus on finding more info about symptomatic gbs. So hang in there ladies I'm prepared to spend the better part of my life trying to fix this and help as many women as i can, i am extremely passionate about this.

Has anyone had any recent success? Wat about the visits to the infectious disease docs?
                              Does the tea tree oil pessery really help with the itching/ burning discomfort?

I'm going to book an appointment/speak with a doctor who teaches at university and has done a lot of research in the field of women's health and urogenital diseases/ infections and see what can possibly be done.

I'll keep everyone posted and good luck! Together we can pull through this! I would really like to keep i contact with anyone else who has posted here or is reading this and has the same problem via Facebook/email
                              Add me on Facebook: this-my-emailhotmail.com i share a page so don't email that hotmail it is my bf's and my email is
                              is nishy96gmail.com or nadishiaugrad.unimelb.au

Comment

• Hi, this is my first time on here, but like everyone else, I am suffering from what is currently diagnosed as Group B Strep. I'm 39 years old and this came on in January out of nowhere and has been a constant ever since. I have no discharge and no odor, and it doesn't happen during a specific time of the month. It is daily. I have a constant low-grade burning and sex is next to impossible. My boyfriend and I had only been together 3 months when this started. He was tested a few months before we met and was negative for everything. A few weeks after we started our physical relationship I started having pain and burning, my OB/GYN said it looked like a mild yeast infection. I have never had an infection but took the medicine she gave me, whatever it was kept coming back and she kept giving me the same medicine. I switched doctors who did another yeast culture on me and it came back negative for yeast and she said I probably never had a yeast infection since I had no discharge or odor. She suggested it could be Herpes, I got tested and it was negative, my boyfriend got tested again for every STD known to man (even rare ones!) to give me peace of mind and again, everything is negative. I started a new birth control around the same time, so I am going to discontinue the use of that to see if that is a problem. I'm currently on Amoxicillin and see slight improvement but don't think it is going to do the trick. I'm on my way to the doctor right now because she is now going to test my urine to see what else it could be. I've read hundreds of these blogs over the last couple of months and at times I feel hopeless. My boyfriend has been very understanding about not having sex, but I'm not sure how many more months that will last and frankly, I'm sick of feeling this way. If anyone has any new suggestions, please let me know. I will try anything!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X